Sunday, June 24, 2012

Knockoffs

I went to the medina today in Casablanca with a new friend. I learned something wonderful, knockoffs. They have luxury purses that are imitation that look like the real thing, but are all Chinese knockoffs. They have all the top named brands, Guess, Fendi, Prada, etc. I don't know much about brands, but the Guess purses looked exactly like the real deal. Except, most of them are NOT made out of real leather.

The price? 200-400 dhms ($20-$40.) Najat told me that is way too expensive, that the owners are charging me too much because I'm white. She said she can get me a better deal. Apparently, fake purses are NOT illegal in Morocco. Some were not so great knockoffs, ie really cheap looking. Others, were fantastic. I didn't buy any because I didn't have enough money, but the next time I go, I think I will get one.

I did decide to cover my head today at the Medina with a scarf. I took Xavier's ugly green winter scarf and wrapped it around my head. My goal was to buy some scarves at the medina. I found 3 great knock-offs for very cheap, a silk Louis Vuitton for 50 dhm ($5) that looks exactly like the real deal, except it has a tag that says made in Itrly. I got a Gucci and Dolce and Gabbana scarf for 40 dhm ($4). Somehow, I found these prices expensive?? I tried to lower it. I couldn't lower the 40 dhm price, but my silk scarf was originally 60 dhm and I got him down to 50.

learned that there are knockoffs here. I'm looking for clothes, but haven't found it yet, outside of purses and scarves. Needless to say, all knockoffs come from China, like everything else in Morocco. There is a quality issue with Chinese things in the states, but the quality is actually worse here, if you can imagine. Everything breaks within a week, batteries, power cords, clothes, you name it. I'm very cautious now about where I buy my things, though I don't actually shop that often. I don't really care. Xavier bought knockoff DVD's. You never know what you're going to get. He bought Tintin and someone actually played the movie on the tv, then put a recorder up next to the screen and recorded. It is not a proper copy, so the sound quality is God awful.

Interesting things....

No comments: