Sunday, June 24, 2012

10th Year Wedding Anniversary

Friday June 22 was our 10th Wedding Anniversary. We got married twice. The first time was at the justice of the peace in Austin on April 21, 2002. Then we had the big proper church wedding and party in France on June 22, 2002. On our first wedding anniversary, Xavier set up a surprise day out at the spa with just the two of us at Hotel Des Arts right here in Dar Bouazza. It was lovely. I figured I had to do something grand for the anniversary on June 22. Neither of us are big gift givers, so I didn't really care to buy anything. I wracked my brain as to what I could give him? He always said I never write to him. So, I thought, what better than a love poem? I did some research online and most love poems are totally cheesy and sappy, something I'm not, so Thursday, I started free writing. On Friday, friend's of ours were hosting a good-bye party for Ron who will be leaving Morocco since his 2 year contract is up. I asked Marina if I could surprise Xavier and read the poem aloud at the party to him. So, she was in on the surprise.

Xavier was very happy about the poem, though at first he seemed quite nervous. I asked him if I could publish it on my blog, he gave his blessing. Here is is:


My love poem to you

Who could have thought
10 years would come to pass
and here we are, together
still loving at last

through our love, we've grown a family
of five
here we are, thinking of adding one more
my God, how ever will we survive?

your hair so dark
your eyes so brown
Your heart beats in my chest
I love you dearest
I'm obviously obsessed

You always say I never write
of that I am sincerely contrite
Since this anniversary is a big one
I didn't want to be outdone

You took us to a spa in april
now on our anniversary, you're in rabat
and being away, I thought
to do something momentous, I ought
and being me, cheap and simple
I wanted to keep it rather nimble

here we are, traveling true
from paris
to austin
to dresden
to munich
to gréoux
to Casablanca
our hearts always create something new
I love you tenderly, dearest and true

I love how you always cut your hair the same way
and now that your beard is getting some grey
my love's madness, if you only knew
I want to give all my heart to you

I love your beautiful olive skin
the beauty of your grin
how you turn golden brown in the sun
the way you touch me...
baby, you're number one

no other can give me such delight
just thinking of you
mmmmmm, what a sight

hold me close, hold me near
whisper sweet nothings in my ear
tickle me, kiss me
make me laugh and beam
I love you more than I could ever dream

no other love could grow to greater height
I think of you both day and night

as you tug playfully at my hair
or nibble gently on my ear
your humor makes me laugh
though I don't always understand
still I think you're quite grand

it's because you're so brilliant you see
that you fill me with such glee

though this poem may not be Yeats
I've tried my best
to keep it short and sweet

but what I really want to say
though I'm not pressed
is

babe, you're the best!

I love you!
happy 10th anniversary!

1 comment:

sharone rawson said...

AWE!!! What a stweet love poem. Thanks for sharing. I am not nearly as talented so I hope Brian never asks me for something like this. If he does, I will consult with you. XXX